By Doug Stokes
This arguable e-book continues that during Colombia the U.S. has lengthy supported a pervasive crusade of country violence directed opposed to either armed insurgents and quite a lot of unarmed revolutionary social forces. whereas the context may well switch from one decade to the following, the fundamental regulations stay an identical: preserve the pro-US Colombian country, shield US fiscal pursuits and protect strategic entry to grease. Colombia is now the 3rd biggest recipient people army relief on the earth, and the biggest by way of some distance in Latin the US. utilizing broad declassified records, this publication indicates that the so-called "war on drugs", and now the recent conflict on terror in Colombia are literally a part of a long term Colombian "war of nation terror" that predates the tip of the chilly warfare with US coverage contributing on to the human rights state of affairs in Colombia this day.
Read or Download America's Other War: Terrorizing Colombia PDF
Best international relations books
The Actors in Europe's international coverage is a well timed survey of the interaction among the EU's universal overseas and safety coverage and the customary nationwide international regulations of the Union's member states.
Up-to-date in its fifth variation, diplomacy and international Politics is a toolkit that gives an authoritative survey of the sphere and useful how one can research present and destiny international difficulties. Drawn from the authors’ adventure as students and practitioners, this re-creation used to be thoroughly rewritten to target a permanent educating and studying goal–how members can follow conception, heritage, geography, and extra for a life of realizing politics in a globalized international.
- The Actors in Europe's Foreign Policy
- Conversations with Ban Ki-Moon: What The United Nations Is Really Like? The View From The Top (Conversations with Giants of Asia)
- Guide to Producing Statistics on Time-use Measuring Paid and Unpaid Work
- State Sovereignty as Social Construct
- Losing an Empire, Finding a Role: An Introduction to British Foreign Policy since 1945
- Networks and States: The Global Politics of Internet Governance (Information Revolution and Global Politics)
Additional resources for America's Other War: Terrorizing Colombia
35 Crandall, Driven by Drugs, p. 45. 36 Crandall, ‘Clinton, Bush and Plan Colombia’, Survival, p. 169. , p. 170. 38 Crandall, Driven by Drugs, p. 8. 39 Guardian, 4 February 2003. html> 40 Wilkin, ‘Revising the Democratic Revolution – into the Americas’, pp. 663–4. 41 James Petras, The Geopolitics of Plan Colombia, November 2001. pdf> p. 3. 42 Giraldo, Colombia. 43 Richani, Systems of Violence, p. 147. 44 Kirk, More Terrible than Death, pp. 241–2. 45 For a sample of Chomsky’s work on US policy in Latin America, see Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman, The Washington Connection and Third World Fascism; Chomsky, Year 501; Noam Chomsky, Latin America: From Colonization to Globalization (Boston: South End Press, 1993).
By taking the USA’s primary mission during the Cold War as the defence and extension of global capitalism from any threats, including but extending beyond Soviet expansionism, revisionists claim that US post-Cold War policy is characterized by signiﬁcant continuity with its earlier concerns. That is, US post-Cold War goals continue to be the commitment to the preservation of global capitalism with the USA as the pre-eminent state, and the destruction of social forces that may credibly threaten these relations.
70. 49 Chomsky makes reference to the initial stages of US CI intervention in Colombia, but does not go into any great detail. See Chomsky, Rogue States, pp. 70–2. 50 These documents were taken from the US National Archives, and the records of the US Department of State. They were made available between 2000 and 2002. org> for more information. 51 To date no English-language scholarship has made use of these data, and very little mention has been made of them within the popular media. The exception is the BBC.